Antique Engraving Print Round Tower Windsor 1660, Drawn by W. Evans, engraved by E. Finden, cm. 16 x 10. Published September 1833.
Cod. P 293
Windsor Castle’s world-famous round tower has been reopened to the public today for the first time in almost four decades.
Visitors to the landmark, which has dominated the Berkshire skyline for more than 800 years, will be able to walk up its 200 steps to the top of the structure.
The doors of the tower closed to visitors in 1975 for major construction work.
The building was underpinned to prevent subsidence and later converted into office space for the Royal Archives.
The tower is part of a complex of buildings that make up the historic Windsor Castle site.
The first stop on the ‘Conquer the Tower’ tour is a visit to the external ‘gallery’ at the base of the tower’s drum.