Antique engraving print St. John’s Gate Clerkenwell, 19 Dec. 1829, drawn by Tho. H. Shepherd, engraved by G.B. Allen.
We sell Guaranteed Absolutely Original authentic Maps, Prints, Books and Vintage items.
St John’s Gate is one of the few tangible remains from Clerkenwell‘s monastic past; it was built in 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra as the south entrance to the inner precinct of Clerkenwell Priory, the priory of the Knights of Saint John – the Knights Hospitallers. The substructure is of brick, the north and south façades of stone. After centuries of decay and much rebuilding, very little of the stone facing is original; heavily restored in the 19th century, the Gate today is in large part a Victorianrecreation, the handiwork of a succession of architects — William P. Griffiths, R. Norman Shaw, and J. Oldrid Scott.